Saturday, May 1, 2010

Summer rain

Life is such a celebration, just when you think everything is going downhill, something joyful happens and you forget all the pain. Take Chennai for instance. Its weather is so legendary. People in the city claim to have only three types of weather hot, hotter and hottest! I have even heard of people who have never been in the city complain about how hot and humid it is :)

But then… it rains, in the middle of summer… After several weeks of sweltering heat, yesterday it happened.

We, my parents and I, were having dinner. We suddenly heard the pitter patter. At first we thought it was our overhead water tank that was overflowing, then we thought maybe my mother had kept water in the stove and that was boiling over. By the time we could process these thoughts the sweet man vasanai, that smell which emanates when water falls on dried mud, wafted through and we all realized it was raining!

My father was incredulous when he realized this. My mother, as always, was composed and confirmed it was raining. Me, I was jumping and smiling, nearly laughing my heart out...cause for me this event was a vindication of my belief that when everything seems nearly doomed and going the other way, good things do happen.

But then… this miracle is short lived. We know that agni natchatram, that one week in May when temperatures peak to even fifty degree centigrade, is just around the corner…

Just as bad times do not last long, good times disappear too only to reappear again. They both play this hide and seek game, one following the other and each being not necessarily of equal measure. It is this that makes life so fascinating for me. Would there be any fun in watching a match if its result was known and not just the end but every twist and turn…

No comments:

Post a Comment